Monday, November 8, 2010

Finally!

I admit, I have a secret concern every Sunday at church. You see, I live in a Stake where women can't give the opening prayer during sacrament meeting and it bothers me. I try not to think about it, but everytime I see a women give only the closing prayer, I think quietly, "that's not right." You see, it doesn't say anywhere in the Church handbook that a women can't give the opening prayer in Sacrament. Some stakes or wards have the woman give the prayer, some don't. However, I was reading Feminist Mormon Housewives when someone (now this is just here-say at this point) stated that the new handbook will state explicitly that women can give both the opening and closing prayer in Sacrament meeting. Yeah!

Update: From 1967-1978, Women were not allowed to pray in Sacrament meeting. The ban was lifted and all was well. However, shortly before President's Benson's death, he gave a talk where he said women could not open a priesthood meeting. Individuals interpreted his words to mean Sacrament Meeting. The church stated that this was incorrect policy shortly after Pres. Benson stated that women couldn't open a priesthood meeting, but some stakes and wards continue to practice this. Link Link

0 comments:

Post a Comment