Sunday, March 8, 2009

Aren't I lucky?



I've been thinking about family the six months or so, and whether or not its time to try and move back to the Inter-Mountain West or Utah. Living out here 2500 miles away from most of my family the past 7.5 years, I forget that I'm not just a single gal in DC, I'm also a daughter, a grand-daughter, a sister, a neice, and a cousin. I forget that those roles demand my time, and the rewards that I get from fulfilling those responsibilities.
I love it here in DC, and I have "family" here that I love as much as my "blood relatives," and it'll be hard leaving if I decide to leave. I haven't made any decisions yet, except that I need to update my resume because it's been almost four years since I've done that.
I'm not afraid to put this on my blog, as I have a good situation at work, they've been awesome to me while I've been struggling with my health, and I wouldn't go unless I could find an ideal federal goverment position in the Intermountain West. In this economy, the competition for a job is going to be fierce so it may be a year or more that I find a good fit. Or I may decide to stay out here.
Another consideration is my health. This winter has been my easiest winter out here in several years, (even counting the 5 day hospital stay), and I'm coming off another sinus infection/bronchitis bout. Last year, I had 4 months straight of upper respiratory illnesses. Even if I move back west, I'll still have to be carefull with my health, but it would be nice living in a place where my sinuses clear out after about a week, the mountains and desert is right there, and there's a lot of great road biking, hiking, back-packing, etc. etc all easier to get to than it is out here. That being said, biking to and from work next to the Potomac? Really is an awesome commute, and I've got skulling and sailing to look forward to this year.
So, I haven't made any real decisions yet, but I'm figuring it all out. Might be time to move back, it might not. We'll see how it goes. Either way, I want to be prepared.
This afternoon I stumbled across the pictures above in my cousin's blog. I'm related to these "crazy" people. The first picture is my Uncle Kent and Aunt Hannah's family. The second picture is my grandmother True Feild and her "grands" on her birthday (Great-Grand kids). If I do move closer, it'll be really nice to see the majority of the people in the pictures above more than once every couple of years.
Thanks Janette!

0 comments:

Post a Comment